May 12, 2015
733 W 4th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99501
State Capitol, Rm 419
Juneau, AK 99801
Contact the Governor
Governor Walker's Anchorage office may be reached at 269-7450, or e-mail him at
Visit the state website
Senator Dan Sullivan,
Sen. Dan Sullivan
Senator Lisa Murkowski,
Sen. Lisa Murkowski
Congressman Don Young,
P.S. if you would like to get more regular updates about what I am doing you can follow me on Twitter using the link
Legislative Listening Session THIS THURSDAY!
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
As you may know, the Alaska State Legislature is now in the midst of a 30-day special session, immediately called by Governor Walker when legislative leadership adjourned on April 27th without a fully-funded budget. The goal of the special session was made clear –address three key topics:
- Budget: Produce a fully-funded budget that reflects the Alaskan priorities and avoids a government shutdown.
- Medicaid Expansion & Reform: Having already held 26 hearings on the topic, move forward and put a bill to expand Medicaid up for a vote of the full Legislature.
- Erin’s Law: Pass Erin’s Law (House Bill 44), a proven method of combating child sexual abuse that requires public school districts to teach age-appropriate prevention. Having passed the House in the last week of session, HB44 still needs a Senate vote.
The Vacation Resolution
On April 30th, only two days into special session, the Republican-led House and Senate majorities introduced HCR101, a resolution authorizing a 13-day break from work in Juneau. Despite Democratic and Independent objections, this bill passed the House and Senate that same day. I voted against the recess because I firmly believe we should have stayed until we finished our job.
Their purpose in leaving Juneau and not just getting the job done? We were told it was to hold hearings around the State and get input from constituents. Yet since special session started on April 28th, there have been zero public hearings where the public has been given an opportunity to testify on the budget, Medicaid expansion and Erin's Law.
Alaskans have been rallying for Medicaid expansion, which polls show over 65% of citizens support
The special session is scheduled to end May 26th. It’s time to listen to the people and get the job done.
Upcoming Listening Session
In response to the disappointing lack of progress in the special session so far, the Senate Democrats and House Independent Democratic Coalition have developed a plan of action for public input.
In partnership with my colleagues from around the state, we plan to hold a series of listening sessions to give Alaskans a voice. These sessions will give you a chance to openly share what you think about the state budget, Medicaid expansion and Erin's Law.
Here are the details on the first Listening Session:
• WHAT: Public testimony on the issues of this special session
• WHEN: THIS THURSDAY, May 14th at 5:30pm – 7:30pm
• WHERE: The Anchorage LIO (716 W. 4th Avenue, 1st floor)
• PARKING: Parking passes can be picked up at the security desk or the front office on the 1st floor of the LIO building (limited quantity available)
• TELECONFERENCE: 1-844-586-9085
The Coffee’s on Me!
Join me for coffee and let’s chat. I’d like to hear your thoughts on the issues, what’s important to you and any ideas you might have to share. As always, the coffee’s on me!
• WHEN: Next Wednesday, May 20th at 7:00am – 8:00am
• WHERE: Denny’s, 3850 Debarr Road
You are also always welcome to contact me directly. I am here to represent you!
Alaska State Senator
District H - Anchorage