July 11, 2013
716 W 4th Suite 540
Anchorage, AK 99501
State Capitol, Rm 419
Juneau, AK 99801
Contact the Governor
Governor Parnell's Anchorage office may be reached at 269-7450, or e-mail him at
Visit the state website
Senator Mark Begich,
Sen. Mark Begich
Senator Lisa Murkowski,
Sen. Lisa Murkowski
Congressman Don Young,
P.S. if you would like to get more regular updates about what I am doing you can follow me on Twitter using the link
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I hope you’re getting outside to enjoy our summer!
This Saturday, July 13, we will be celebrating the opening and dedication of the new polar bear-themed playground at Russian Jack Springs Park. The Russian Jack Community Council and Anchorage Park Foundation will be joining us to host a community picnic from 11am – 2pm at Russian Jack Park (801 Pine Street). The ribbon cutting ceremony for the new playground will begin at noon. All neighbors are welcome to stop by to enjoy free food, entertainment and face painting!
Nola the Polar Bear at Russian Jack Springs Park
Volunteers help rejuvenate Russian Jack Springs Park
Here’s some basic info about where to fish, hike, hunt, swim, play outdoors, and watch Alaska’s spectacular wildlife.
Senator Wielechowski dipnetting on the Copper River
· For weekly recorded tips on where to fish around Anchorage, call Fish and Game at 267-2510 and then press 1.
· For information on summer activities sponsored by the Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department, take a look at this guide.
· To purchase a hunting or fishing license, go online at www.adfg.alaska.gov/store or visit your local grocery or sporting goods store.
· To learn about where to go to observe animals in a natural setting follow this link. This site has tips on when to go, what you’ll see, and how to help with research projects.
· For information on where to swim locally, click here.
· To practice your shooting skills, visit the Rabbit Creek Shooting Park at 15222 New Seward Highway, across from Potters Marsh. The Park welcomes shooters of all skill levels. It’s open from 10 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. For more info, call 345-7831.
· For information on trails within the Chugach State Park, go to http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/trails.htm
· The Department of Fish and Game is offering basic hunter education classes on Sept 28, Oct 12, Nov 9, or Nov 23 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for $10. Other specialty classes, including classes for women, are available. Call 267-2196 for info.
· Kenai River Personal Use Dipnet Fishery opens on July 10 and run through July 31 from 6 a.m. –11 p.m. daily. It’s a fun time and great way to fill your freezer. Don’t forget to get a permit for your household in addition to your sport fishing license. For more information, call 267-2218.
This week I drove around East Anchorage with representatives from the Municipality to view current road projects and identify roads in need of repair
Please be safe, while you enjoy this exciting time of year. Feel free to call my office at 269-0120 if you have any questions. And don’t forget – you can always follow me on Facebook and Twitter for more breaking information.
Alaska State Senator
District J - Anchorage